What is a Stud Wall?
Stud walls are a fundamental element in constructing room partitions. Stud frames are made from lengths of wood or metal that create the wall’s structure. The frame is then covered with drywall or plasterboard, before being painted. A typical internal stud wall is comprised of stud and track lengths and can require the use of noggings depending on the wall height and lining configuration.
Steel is increasingly becoming the construction material of choice due to the additional benefits over timber it has.
Studco® is driven by innovation and is committed to delivering original solutions for the Australian building and construction industry.
There are many benefits to specifying Studco Steel Studs for your next project.
Read time: 3 mins
Steel Studs vs Timber Studs
Timber has been used to build wall frames on structural projects for many years, however the market is now seeing the value in making the change to cold formed steel studs. There are benefits and disadvantages to be considered when deciding whether wooden or steel studs would best suit your project needs.
Below are things to consider when using timber studs:
- Timber is easily sourced and convenient to find.
- When using good quality timber, the frames are durable however they do require extra maintenance.
- Timber walls are easier to shape on site using tools. However, they need to be straightened and planed resulting in extra time and costs.
- Timber needs additional protection against decay, rot and termites to maintain longevity.
- Timber is highly combustible, and framing can be structurally affected in the event of a fire.
- Timber inevitably increases the amount of waste on site.
Here are the factors to consider when using steel studs:
- Steel is extremely durable, it will not crack, splinter or warp like timber.
- Steel has lower maintenance issues and greater longevity.
- Steel reduces the overall fire risk in multi residential dwellings as it is non-combustible.
- Steel studs are composed of light materials which are easier to install and resistant to moisture, fire, and termites.
- Steel framing is fabricated off site, which results in less construction waste on site
- Steel is sustainable as it is 100% recyclable.
- Greater cost-efficiency to the overall project.
Steel is increasingly becoming the construction material of choice for creating stud walls, as it provides many benefits over the timber alternative.
Why should you specify Studco Steel Studs for your project?
Driven by innovation, Studco is committed to delivering original solutions to the Australian building and construction industry that help problem solve issues that our customers may face.
There are multiple reasons to specify Studco Steel Studs for your project, including:
- Studco Steel Studs are made in Australia; manufactured at our factory in Croydon South, Victoria.
- Studco has over 30 years of experience and knowledge in developing innovative building solutions.
- Studco steel products are made from BlueScope cold rolled steel. BlueScope are the producers of the finest sheet and coil products.
- BlueScope recycle the equivalent of 30% of their annual raw steel production output.
- Studco Steel Stud are lightweight and durable – All projects using Studco products are eligible to receive a written product & systems warranty as we are confident in the performance of our products.
- Studco offers solution-based engineering and dedicated technical service, backed by qualified structural engineers.
- Studco offers unbeatable customer service and we work collaboratively with our stakeholders to find the best solutions for each project.
- Studco offers innovative seismic and acoustic solutions.
- Studco aims to develop ground-breaking, innovative products, such as the Vortex High Performance Framing System.
- Studco wall and ceiling systems have been tested for structural integrity, capacity, fire ratings and acoustical performance by several institutes and have consistently demonstrated less than 1% variation compared to other metal framing systems.